Monday, July 9, 2007

My Scottish Wedding

As mentioned previously, the hotel plays host to many weddings.

The last wedding I served at was a Scottish wedding. For me, this means several key differences from my standard wedding service.


For starters, when most guests get drunk, if I concentrate, I can still understand them. With a Scottish wedding, as the guests get more drunk, they become less and less understandable, and no matter how hard I try, I cannot understand them.

Secondly, because the hotel is not in Scotland (Although I stated that I am based in the UK, to be more specific, I live in England) the guests have had to travel a fair distance and knowing this have planned ahead... i.e. They have arranged for coach transportation so that they do not have to worry about designated drivers and can get absolutely trashed.

Thirdly, traditional Scottish wedding attire is of course, the kilt. Whilst this is traditional attire, it does not bode well for the inevitable 'piss-up' that will follow. The presence of kilts makes my job of watching over the bar a lot harder, as I try to avoid accidentally looking up them.

(Additionally, when a Scotsman passes out from excessive drinking, one of their female friends is bound to flip up their kilt.)

Needless to say, it was a long night...


Moral of the story:- When serving at a Scottish wedding, though you won't want to see a Scotsman's penis, you probably will....

Also, if a Scotsman says he wants to play his bagpipes in the bar, and promises it will be quiet... he's lying.

2 comments:

Al said...

Sounds like it was an interesting evening. I'll have to remember those two things for the future, just in case.

Bagpipes are bad enough outside, so I dread to think what they're like in an enclosed space.

Arriva Driver said...

I love weddings at big hotels.

Been to a couple, great time, but there was another two weddings going on at the same time (this place was big enough), so you can imagine the confusion!

You wouldnt catch me in a kilt...