Friday, August 24, 2007

My Faith In Humanity

In May, I posted about a couple who left their baby at home and took a baby monitor out with them whilst they had drinks in the hotel (one which wouldn't work due to the range). 3 months on, I feel an update is needed.


I have now seen people take baby monitors into the bar on 5 separate occasions. This is despite the high profile of the Madeleine McCann case, and the warnings/advice that has come up as a result.

I'm forced to ask, do people really think taking a baby monitor with them into the bar whilst they leave their child at home/in their room, is a sound precaution? Is this seen as the new, economic and effective way to ensure a child's safety, whilst the parents are away?


Appalled as I am by everyone who brings a baby monitor into the bar, I was especially disgusted at the guests who were in last night.


I was walking past one of the bar's closed off seating areas when I heard what sounded like a TV. Knowing we don't have a television in that room, I entered to investigate.

The room was deserted, but I could still hear this slight static noise.

As I stood still and tried to pin-point its origin, I heard a sob.

The sob turned into a wail.

It was then that I found a baby monitor sat on the floor next to one of the sofas.


Taking a baby monitor out with you instead of hiring a babysitter is one thing, but to then abandon the baby monitor?!


I returned to the bar and announced to the crowd that I had found a baby monitor next door, and that the baby was crying - Admittedly, I was trying to shame the parents

However, what destroyed my faith in humanity was not that people had taken a baby monitor out with them and then abandoned it, but instead:-


The reaction I got from the crowd


No one cared. No one! Everyone listened to my announcement, realised it didn't relate to them, and then continued their conversations!

I'm sorry, but that just makes me feel sick...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

got to agree with you thats disgraceful of the parents. the crowd may have looked like they didnt care but you know what people are like, any reallyenjoy the blog keep up the good work

Al said...

Some people shouldn't be allowed children.

Although the crowd didn't seem to care I wonder how many of them were talking about it later.

Did you ever manage to find the parents?

caramaena said...

Disgraceful is right. I hope you found the parents.

D said...

Unfortunately, we had 6 guests with babies staying in the hotel so couldn't pin-point who it was.

We kept the baby monitor behind reception but no one claimed it, so...

James (UK) said...

These are the sort of people who breed like flies, with no cares in the World... :-( They were brought up by parents with no parenting skills, and so they have none themselves...

And these days, NO ONE will lift a finger to help anyone / say anything... just look at how many people are mugged / beaten up on the trains, and everyone hides behind their Evening Standards

Manuel said...

beyond words...

Anonymous said...

Sigh, another compelling argument for forced sterelization ...