Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My Bomb Threat

During the nights, I basically have the hotel to myself. This gives me time to raid the kitchen, watch a DVD, play on my PSP, or even take a quick nap. It also gives me time to poke around reception and see what random things are there - Conveniently, this is how I now own a PSP. I found it in the night team's desk, so I assume it was one of the previous night manager's. I put it back each night just in case someone comes to collect it, but I'm fairly sure it's now mine.

This is also how I found the 'Bomb Threat Action File'...


The 'Bomb Threat Action File' basically tells me exactly what to do if someone calls in a bomb threat. Encouragingly, this file was caked in dust, the paper inside is yellowing, and it looks like it was typed up on a typewriter. The pages look like they were photocopied on a very poor machine, and some are so dark/fuzzy that I can barely read them.


Anyway, from reading the 'Bomb Threat Action File', I have drawn out what I feel to be the most important points:-

a) Do not hang up on the caller

b) Call the police as soon as the caller disconnects

c) When evacuating guests, do not mention the word 'Bomb'

d) Stay calm


Thank God I have the file! Otherwise I may hang up on someone trying to tell me about a bomb they've left in the building, not bother calling the police, tell all the guests there's a bomb, and then whilst they're running around panicking, panic as well!


This must be the idiot's guide to handling bomb threats. That said, if I ever get one (highly unlikely) I'm sure I'll be glad I have it...

4 comments:

Al said...

That fairly basic, common sense approach took someone several pages to explain? (I'm assuming there's slightly more to it than that.)

That being said, at least it's there.

D said...

No, there really isn't. It IS that basic. Not just several pages either, an entire file with about 7 different subsections.

I agree though, at least it's there.

cogidubnus said...

Umm...(facing a bleary-eyed naked guest at his room door at 0300 hrs)...I'm sorry sir I must ask you to leave the hotel...yes I'm the duty manger...no I'm afraid you can't pack your bags, no sir the hotel isn't on fire...umm, this is a drill...please don't hit me again sir...no sir there's really no (mutter mutter mutter)...I'm sorry I'm not allowed to use b-words sir...ouch

Oh yeah, sure...how useful... presumably written by the local home guard (don't panic...)

Anonymous said...

Yeah the evacuation process is the most important one. You can't just hit the fire alarm coz nowdays that can be the trigger, and equally the B*stards might well plant the bomb on the fire escape to ensure they hit those fleeing