Tuesday, September 18, 2007

My New Challenge

I've been thinking about the biggest difference between my old job as Late Shift Barman, and my new job as Night Manager.

Really, everything has changed. I rarely have to go behind the bar now, I work almost completely behind reception. My duties no longer revolve around drinks, instead focusing much more heavily on accounts, revenue, arrivals, and guest services. Guest services encompasses tasks such as arranging taxis, making sandwiches, and handling any complaints that arise over the course of the evening.


However, I think the biggest difference is accountability...

On the bar, I was safe in the knowledge that as long as I did my job and ensured guests obeyed the rules of the hotel, I was covered. If a guest complained that it was unreasonable for me to ask them not to dance on a table, I could refer them to the senior manager on shift.

Now, I AM the senior manager on shift. This means that whatever I decide is what is acceptable... at least until the morning when if the guest wants to complain they can speak to another manager.


This has the benefit that when guests speak to me they know that, at least for the time being, there is no one above me and what I decide is the final word. Pleasantly, this means that guests argue with me less than they used to.

I say less, because I still get drunk/jerk guests who demand to see my manager - I've been asked at 4am to get the General Manager as the guest doesn't like my answer... I'm not going to wake up the General Manager and call him in to work at 4am for anything short of a bomb threat, and even then I probably wouldn't bother - Sounds harsh/lazy, but what exactly is he going to do that I'm not?


However, on the downside, I am now much more accountable for my mistakes. Anything I do wrong, in terms of handling guest complaints, can't really be rectified until the morning... At which point I get it in the neck.

I think the phrase, With responsibility comes empowerment, but also fear, sums it up in a round-a-bout sort of way...


Anyway, apologies for the somewhat dull post, but I think it's necessary to mention this point as it's the most important aspect of my new job...

1 comment:

Al said...

If there's one thing I like about my job it's the fact that I can pass any serious complaints onto someone more senior. They get paid to deal with it and I don't.