Saturday, October 20, 2007

My CV and Interview Advice

In the Independant recently, there was a supplement about how to write a good CV, and what to do when turning up to an interview. Having now conducted more interviews than I've actually been invited to, and read CVs more times than I have updated mine, I think I am now qualified to cast an opinion on the issue.


With that in mind, here are my top tips for when you decide to update your CV, or for when you have an interview:-


a) CV - Only put down what is relevant - I know you've always wanted a career in the music/film/catering industry, and only want a job as a stop-gap to earn money and keep the wolves from the door, but please, don't actually put it down in writing - My advice? Write 2 CVs, one aimed towards your dream profession, and one for everyone else. When hiring a night auditor, I really don't care that you've been playing piano since you were 12 and have been a roady at 'V Festival' for the past 3 years.

b) CV - It sounds obvious, I know, but please, include your actual phone number - I'm not so desperate to hire you that I'm going to scour the yellow pages.

c) CV - Include at least one reference. It doesn't fill me with confidence that you have no one to vouch for you - Oh, additionally, when you are requested for a reference as a result, do not give a fax number - On top of being useless, it just makes me think you don't know how the phone works.

d) CV - Do not try to be cute or wacky, especially when applying for a position in management. Yes, it's very clever that you've managed to include on your CV a digitised coffee ring, imported into photoshop and layered over the top, however, it looks so unprofessional I actually had to study it for a good 5 minutes because I couldn't believe someone would really think it beneficial


e) Interview - Always arrive before the interview is scheduled. I would recommend 5 minutes at least. Strangely, if someone turns up ON TIME, I'm vaguely disappointed already.

f) Interview - On the note of punctuality, if you are running late, call the interviewer ahead of time and inform them. I can actually forgive being 30 minutes late for an interview, ASSUMING YOU RING AHEAD AND GIVE ME A REASON.

g) Interview - I know that if you decide you don't want the job, there is no point turning up to the interview. I understand this. I also realise that at this point it doesn't matter what the interviewer's opinion of you is. However, as a note of courtesy, INFORM THEM YOU AREN'T GOING TO TURN UP! I have wasted 2 full days because of this - (I know that an interview only takes on average between 30 minutes and an hour, but I work nights. The fact that I've woken up mid-day has already screwed with my sleep pattern and internal clock)

h) Interview - Dress appropriately, especially if you are applying for a position in management. I don't necessarily expect a tie, but please.... PLEASE.... JEANS*$%#! In what sense is this a good idea?!

i) Interview - I know we've only spoken on the phone for a few minutes, I know we've only been sat down for a little while, and I know I've only told you my name twice, but a word of advice... REMEMBER IT! Especially as I'M WEARING A NAME BADGE!!

j) Interview - Never refer to me as DUDE. Or GUY. Or MATE. I shouldn't have to explain why...

k) Interview - Just a few general points to round off. Do not appear:-

1) Nervous
2) Bored - Yawning? Checking your watch? Never a good sign!
3) Fidgety
4) Horny - No matter how confident you are, WINKING at me, is not going to make me want to hire you!
5) Sleepy - I know I'm not fascinating to talk to, but falling asleep in your chair... Do you think it makes you seem more employable?


I apologise for the slight 'rant', but I am getting really close to the end of my tether. I have no staff and am currently working every night because no one is qualified to cover. I think I need a holiday... or a sabbatical... or to be institutionalised...

7 comments:

James (UK) said...

My favourite tip is "mirroring", where you "copy" the body language of the interviewer... supposed to make them feel they "know" you etc.

How do you feel about supplemental material, like letters of compliment, proof of good feedback etc. Is it OK to dump tonnes off with your CV, or should you pick a few choice bits, and drop a "there's plenty more of that, if you want it" comment, kind of thing?

Al said...

I've given it about five minutes since reading about it and I still can't work out the coffee ring thing. It's just so inappropriate.

Strangely I've never actually had a proper formal interview. The two jobs I've actually had were both a case of them basically telling me what the job involved, checking I wasn't an axe murderer or anything and seeing if I still wanted the job. At no point did I get the impression that they were being selective at all, it seemed more a case of you've filled in the application form and have turned up on time so you're good enough. Perhaps it's only supermarkets who employ people in this way.

Pizza Hut Team Member said...

Ahh no my interview was quite similar to yours Al. Although I was asked a few very basic "What would you do if..." questions. But within 5 minutes it was "Right, well I guess you have figured from the fact I'm asking you for uniform sizes, that you have the job". Started the next day!

D said...

I quite like cover letters. I think it makes the CV a bit more personal, less of a leaflet-ting exercise.

I've not had any that have provided letters of compliment, etc., but I don't think I'd like it. Listed references will suffice. I think ringing a reference is more reliable than letters of compliment. With the references, I can listen to the person's voice and maybe detect if he's covering/exaggerating.

Al said...

A letter of compliment would also only apply when it was written. The candidate could have become a complete idiot after that.

Night Warden said...

I know that when I was interviewed for my new position, I gave them a CV plus three references (two on paper and a verbal from Alex). They offered me the job on the spot and never bothered to call Alex.

Are people too trusting these days? I'm not a bad employee, but it doesn't take a genius to rattle out a couple of references.

I obtained my references through the proper channels though, had to put that on record.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.