Tuesday, October 2, 2007

My Falls

Flicking through blogs, I came across Pizza Hut Team Member's post on clumsiness and general falls while at work.


My personal experience from working at the hotel is that the kitchen floor is LETHAL. What little grip I manage to get on it whilst wearing my walking-shoes is instantly negated by the inevitable puddle left for me by the kitchen porter.

Usually, when I feel myself begin to slip, I can either 'ride-it-out' or grab onto one of the metal counters to steady myself. However, this was not the case recently...


I have to go to the kitchen to prepare a room service tray, and as I scavenge the area I place my foot in a patch of oil put on the floor from the deep-fat fryer, and left there by the kitchen porter when he cleaned. As I feel my foot begin to skate out from under me, I reach out to steady myself on the nearest counter... which proves to be a mistake.

The counter itself is 'quite warm', so I let go VERY quickly and allow myself to instead land on my arse on the kitchen floor. I rest here for a little while, before gingerly picking myself up, dusting myself off, and walking very carefully to the end of the counter. When I get there, I reach up, and turn the hot plate off...

Ow, in a word.

6 comments:

Al said...

At least you didn't have an audience.

D said...

Yes, true enough. Silver lining...

I should perhaps also have mentioned that at 3am there should be absolutely no reason for the hot plate to be on.

Pizza Hut Team Member said...

Kitchens are lethal. Oil, water and other slimy substances. And because the place needs to be clean, everything is stainless steel, so there is no possible way to get any grip. Then there is the bit involving heat, I think they call it cooking.

Slipping on a slither of cucumber, trying to steady myself on the hot stainless steel oven then landing head first in the frier is one of my recurring nightmares.

D said...

Thank you for that, now it's one of my nightmares as well.

Admittedly, everything in the kitchen should be turned off by the time I come on shift, but after the hot plate incident...

Al said...

All of this makes me glad that the only thing I can burn myself on is a scanner lamp.

Anonymous said...

thanks for this information


[url=http://bradhsfxga.onsugar.com/]برامج[/url]
[url=http://bradhsfxga.onsugar.com/]برامج التحميل[/url]