Monday, October 15, 2007

My Interview

Unhappily, the night team is short staffed at the moment and it falls to me to interview and hire new staff.

Why 'unhappily'? Ask yourself this:-

What kind of people do you think APPLY for night work?


I have interviewed almost a dozen people. They ranged from:-

a) A Hungarian who could barely say yes or no
b) A Slovakian whose previous jobs had only lasted a maximum of 2 months
c) A German who turned up 30 minutes late despite living opposite the hotel
d) A South African who asked me if it was possible to work only 2 nights a week instead of 5
e) An Englishman (who I hired), who worked 4 shifts and then handed in his notice saying the work was too physically demanding
f) A Spaniard who turned up wearing scruffy jeans and a T-shirt (sorry, it's just not that impressive when applying for a position in management)

And I think the creme de la creme:-

g) A French woman, who told me that she saw dead people


Seriously?!? Is this an accurate representation of the current workforce available?

I'd like to hear from anyone else who has had some interesting ones...

2 comments:

James (UK) said...

My favourte is;

"c) A German who turned up 30 minutes late despite living opposite the hotel."

This reminds me of a female security guard we used to have for our office building... she was staying in a hotel directly opposite our place and yet was always late opening up!

She ended up being fired because she was found out to be going up to one of the vacant floors of our building at night, and using a phone she'd discovered to ring "0898" competition lines / chat lines etc.

Viz ran a great spoof of those sorts of chatlines, and the bit I really remember was the tiny print under one of the "adverts" that said;

"Calls cost £425.50 a second, and terminate on the Moon."

Al said...

I don't think I could interview people. I want to refuse to even hand application forms to some of the people who ask so I don't think I could sit through an interview with them.

The woman who thought she could see dead people might have been interesting to work with.