Monday, October 29, 2007

My Daylight Savings

Congratulations to everyone who enjoyed their weekend, and particularly loved that extra hour that they could spend in bed! Or alternatively, were able to stay up partying for even longer! What a fantastic invention 'Daylight Savings' is!

However, amidst your celebrations, spare a thought for us night workers. People like myself and the 'Night Warden'. People who, instead of having an extra hour in bed or partying, spent an extra hour AT WORK.

My job is irritating enough, without having to spend an extra hour at it!


A colleague at the hotel told me not to worry, that in 6 months time I'll have a shift shortened by an hour as 'Daylight Savings' comes round again.

True, however I'm betting that based on sod's law, this will occur on a day when I really need time to catch up with all my work!


Anyway, mock if you will, but bear in mind one thing....

WE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO WATCH OVER YOU WHILE YOU SLEEP

5 comments:

Pizza Hut Team Member said...

Employees in the service and hospitality industry always get a crap deal, yet we are the ones who customers rely on!

But in this instance, I did manage to enjoy that extra hour. :-D

James (UK) said...

Those "Oh give it 6 months and you'll get the hour back!" comments are so lame... like saying to a Postman "Wouldn't like to do your job... still it's better than walking the streets, eh!?"

Don't people ever think that you've heard that one before!?

Al said...

At least you get paid for that extra hour though?

That doesn't really help does it? Sorry.

Night Warden said...

For once, the extra hour took place on my day off. So, yes I did enjoy the extra hour in bed.

Al: Everytime I've worked a daylight savings shift, I wasn't paid for the extra hour, nor did I lose an hour's pay in the Spring.

cogidubnus said...

Think I must've slept through it...