Monday, April 23, 2007

My Freebie

Having read 'barista brat's' and 'Pizzas Hut Team Member's' blogs, I felt I should discuss freebies. Working at the hotel, you would think that it is an expensive and formal enough of an establishment that people would not even try to persuade me to give them free drinks.

You would be wrong.

I have had people lick the bar when spirits have spilt on it.
I have had people attempt to sign other people's names so that they can charge drinks to their room.
I have had people sign their own names wrong so that when they check out they can claim that the signature isn't theirs and they didn't have the drinks signed for.


The following are regular requests:


Guest: Come on, there's so little left in that bottle, you may as well just pour it in.
Me: Sorry, sir, but I have another bottle in the cellar and when I need to do another shot I'll top it up with the spare. I can't give spirits away for free.


Guest: If I order 3 glasses of wine, can you charge me the price of the bottle instead of the cost of the glasses?
Me: I'm afraid not, sir. (the difference is about 5p)


When topping up a measure with a new bottle of spirit:

Guest: You can't mix that! I should have the unfinished measure for free and only pay for a complete measure from the new bottle.
Me: Sir, it makes absolutely no difference. You cannot have a free measure.


When ordering food:

Guest: If I order the caesar salad, but don't want any dressing, is it cheaper?
Me: I'm afraid not, sir, no.


I once left a bottle of vodka on the bar and turned my back on a guest to get a slice of lemon. He poured the shot I'd poured into his drink and refilled the measure.

Guest: You forgot to pour the shot into my drink.
Me: Oh? I'm terribly sorry, sir.

He went away quite pleased with himself for getting a free shot, unaware that I'd charged him for a double.


And my most unbelievable to date:

A guest walked into the bar and dumped his change in front of me.

Guest: I'll have a pint of lager, please.
Me: I'm sorry, sir, but you haven't got enough money to afford a pint of lager.
Guest: Oh, what can I afford?
Me: I could give you a half pint if you like?
Guest: Oh... Can't you just give me a pint and make the rest up from your tips?

I was not amused, to say the least.

4 comments:

Pizza Hut Team Member said...

Wow good blog - I'll put you on my blogroll, keep up the good work!

Arriva Driver said...

I love the last Guest actions...

"Yeah, I don't even know you, but I will spend some of my deserved cash on your alcohol addiction."

Priceless...

Nice blog.

D said...

Thanks for the kind comments, feedback is always appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Yeah in regards to the last one that's one of the few very unprofessional times I've snapped at a guest (I don't earn enough to keep pissheads happy!), although I was already narked at him for trying to sign to a room that didn't exist and then complaining to the DM that I was watching him like a thief.