Saturday, April 28, 2007

My Closing Time

First off, I'd like to apologise to 'Pizza Hut Team Member'. He received a negative comment to one of his posts and defended himself. However, I think the negative remark may actually have been directed at the comment I had posted, so I felt I should explain in more detail.


Closing Time.

As mentioned in one of my first posts, we don't have one at the hotel. However, after a certain time, if it's quiet enough, the night manager will relieve me and I can go home. This means locking up the bar and putting the shutters down. This is the usual closing procedure. There is another closing time though, and that is when both the night manager and I have had enough.


Times when I've had enough:

1) When the people left in the bar are so drunk, it would not just be illegal, but also irresponsible to serve them

2) When the people left in the bar are being incredibly rude - insulting me every time I try to serve them, yelling insults at me when I'm trying to get on with other parts of my job, etc.

3) When I'm having things thrown at me - I have to try very hard to keep my cool at this. In my opinion, this should never happen

And, one I feel bad about as the guests in the bar have done nothing wrong,

4) When we have a busy day following and if I don't start cleaning glasses as fast as I can we won't have any - it's always embarrassing serving whiskey in a wine glass


In my comment on 'Pizza Hut Team Members' post, I was referring to putting the shutters down in front of guests during 'Times 2&3'. I did not make this clear, and I should have. With that in mind...

It is immensely satisfying putting the shutters down in front of guests who are irritating.

Additionally, if you lose customers through doing this, they are generally the type of customer you want to lose.

2 comments:

Arriva Driver said...

The phrase:

"The customer is always right", is inevitably wrong.

The staff member is always right, about closing times, prices, everything.

I dont blame anyone for having to use forceful methods to ensure that they can have a life themselves rather than being a slave to people who don't realise you're a person.

Like you said, the customers you want to keep are the ones who understand the business and who will come back during opening hours and not stay later.

Pizza Hut Team Member said...

No apology required! I think the comment could have applied to either of the situations.

Generally, I'll treat a customer with the same attitude as they treat me - although I can't be as bad as some of them!

I'm sure continually dealing with the public eventually turns people into terrible cynics though!