Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My Night of Fear

A guest once came in and was sitting at the bar, telling me about her hotel back in Dublin. She was the front office manager, and one morning had been called to a room by a housekeeper because the lady was 'sleeping' and she couldn't wake her up. The lady had been dead for several hours.

The night manager told me that in the time he's worked at the hotel he can recall two deaths, one of which he was on duty during.


My night of fear was the result of one elderly guest.

He'd come in early in the day and had ordered a pint of bitter from me. He was a typical 'gent' as I like to think of them. At a guess, I'd say he was in his 70s, spoke politely, and if asked would tell you all about his life, including as many pointless details as he could remember.

At the end of the night, I noticed he was sitting in one of the corners, and was very, very still. Having called out to him to ask him if he wanted another drink, and receiving no reply, I walked over to his table. Bending down to eye level, I reached forward and gripped his shoulder. He woke up with a start, and took a swing at me.


The night manager has since taught me the 'sleeper' procedure.

'Sleepers' are people who may have died in the bar, but it is much more likely they're just asleep.

Step 1) Call out to the guest

Step 2) Make a loud noise nearby the guest

Step 3) Reach out and grip the guest by the shoulder.

When carrying out 'Step 3', stand behind the guest. Most sleepers will wake up suddenly, and some will strike out as they do. They are however, much less likely to strike out behind them. In addition, grip them tightly by the shoulder. This stops them from leaping up and potentially knocking over a table.

Most sleepers are elderly. This I find particularly irritating, because they are the ones most likely to actually be dead.

I'm beginning to hate the elderly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very informative. Do you suppose that residential and care home staff required adverts ever say "would suit a masochist; be prepared to be hit on a regular basis!"

SkippyMom said...

I LOVE the line "This I find particulary irritating as they are the ones most likely to be dead."

TOO funny! I woke the dog laughing out loud at that....thanks for a great line!