Thursday, April 12, 2007

My Stance on Prostitutes

It seems to be happening more and more... or maybe I'm just becoming more observant.

Whatever the reason, I am beginning to see more and more prostitutes.

It can be little things that give them away; a furtive exploratory glance that someone gives as they walk a lady to their room, as if trying to see if there's anyone they know so they can backtrack quickly and avoid embarrassment.

Sometimes, it is quite blatant signs that highlight a woman's profession; coming into the hotel late at night and asking directions to a room, wearing stockings, thigh high boots, and a gaudy handbag (sounds cliched, but I've seen it too many times to deny). Oh, and the confirmation being when she leaves again 30-50 minutes later and climbs into a large silver Mercedes that I've seen quite a lot, strangely, always picking up women from outside the hotel.

One of the stranger signs for 'detecting' them, is when they accompany Japanese men. For starters, they look out-of-place walking alongside a Japanese businessman as they enter the hotel... especially as he's holding her hand. He'll even walk her out an hour or so later... still holding her hand.

Maybe it's because I'm the barman, or maybe I look quite 'well-travelled', but apparently I am expected to keep a directory behind bar so that I can arrange ladies for guests at short notice. I have been asked by numerous guests how much it would cost to arrange a visitor to their room. I have even been asked who I would recommend!

Personally, I don't mind if guests bring prostitutes back to their room. I don't mind if they sit and have a drink in the bar beforehand (the lady usually looks a bit uncomfortable, though one advertised herself to me while the guest went to the toilet). I don't even mind it when I have to drive to a petrol station after I finish to pick up condoms for a guest who's expecting company and forgotten one small detail (usually I get tipped handsomely for this).

What I do mind, is when guests attempt to begin their 'transaction' whilst still in the bar (the ladies don't tend to like it either). I don't particularly like it when it is painfully obvious to everyone in the bar what the lady's profession is (it looks like I'm encouraging it).

One thing that puzzles me though. I have never been asked to arrange for a young man to visit a lady's room. I wonder if any of the female bar staff have?

No comments: